Sunday, April 15, 2007

Qualifier!

Hello, all.

I re-read my last post and feel the need to do a little qualifying. And, as a bonus, tag on a question or two for your consideration.

The qualification? I should have said that Imus' firing made it a rough week for him, not a rough week for me.

I did not find it pleasant to hear, over and over again, what it is that he said (because it was, to my hearing, ugly and demeaning and entirely lacking in sense) but that did not make my week rough.

It is just that Mr. Imus' firing opens some interesting questions about the limits of publicly-acceptable speech. Where I might personally find his words objectionable, I might still be called-upon to provide access to them (and words like them) in the library setting.

Here is that question for your consideration:

Is firing someone a more or less acceptable response to objectionable speech than prosecuting them?

Follow-up question:

Which action is more likely to result in such speech not being repeated?


As for Vonnegut's death? That was hard on me. I loved his writing.

AB

No comments: